Wednesday 12 January 2022

Micro-blogging: arguing with my diary

Since getting involved with LittleBear's football team, I have used a week-per-view diary for all football matters. I keep a list of the boys' contact numbers in the back, I note down meetings and matches. And, most importantly, I always have a diary with the days on one page, and a empty page for "notes" on the facing page. And this is where the starting line-up is jotted down, the subs, the scorers, the assists, the injuries, the times. Enough to scrape together some kind of match report after the fact.

Being a creature of habit, I now must have a week-per-view, with notes, diary each year. For some reason, it was difficult to find one this year. Not Smiths, not Rymans, not Waterstones, not Letts. In the end, I bought a random one from Amazon. It's not plain black, which irks me a bit, but not half as much as the insides irk me...

Useful to whom?

Seriously? What is this diary? The paper format of a phishing scam? My First Identity Theft?

Don't mock me

I do not buy diaries as an exercise in personal growth. The only correct entries in these fields are, "I'm still alive, what more do you want from me?" Not to mention - what the hell is the difference between "Triumphs and Successes" and "Major Achievements"? Even if I were inclined to write down how awesome I was last year, I'm not sure I could summon up two different types of awesomeness.

 Now you've gone too far

I don't think I can stretch beyond, "fuck off with your personal goals shit, I hate you, you unnecessarily upbeat, perky, bastarding book". And literally the only reason I am not writing that on these pages is because there's a fair chance that one of my small boys will read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment