Monday 27 September 2021

Perils of cycling

 For those who like a bit of levity in their day... picture the scene... I am cycling LittleBear to school early for triathlon club. We're in a hurry, as we're always a little late for the 7:55-at-school start. Suddenly, there's huge resistance to my pedal stroke, and my bike slams to a halt. My long skirt has caught in the chain and wound itself round the rear hub. I lurch onto the pavement dragging my bike, and clutching my skirt to prevent it being pulled off entirely by the weight of the falling bike.

I try to contort myself, my skirt and my bicycle into position to disentangle myself, and then hear the dulcet tones of an Angel of Mercy. The neighbour whose house I have stalled in front of happened to be looking out of the window and has rushed out to help. 

She turns out to be dextrous and of delicate touch. As she gently eases the wheel round, inching the oily fabric out, a van pulls up and the slightly-less-dulcet tones of the chairman of our football club ring out, offering help. I sternly wag my finger and forbid photographs. To my surprise, and relief, he complies. Though he also mocks me. Deservedly. 

My Angel of Mercy completes the extraction of my skirt, without once needing to reveal my bottom to the world AND she then gives me a hair tie with which to bundle up the ill-advised skirt and complete my journey. We even got to triathlon club before they closed the gates.

I will not be riding in that skirt again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment