Saturday 27 February 2021

February Reading List

Look at me go! I'm managing the second month of maintaining my reading list!

Guardian of the Horizon - Elizabeth Peters

As with January's list, a comforting foray into a somewhat parodic Edwardian murder mystery. The second of my new Christmas Amelia Peabody books, and one that threw me slightly, as I'm acquiring them in publication order, but the author went back and filled in some of the story's chronology as she progressed, so this one jumps back in time 9 years prior to the one I read in January. My feeble mental state was not ready for his and I felt quite put out. Particularly as it returned to a point in the story filled with unresolved sexual tension that I'd been happy to see the back of.

Godsgrave - Jay Kristoff

Second part in a trilogy and a thoroughly entertaining fantasy romp with magic, gladiators and assassins. Extremely violent and no holds barred in killing off favoured characters to advance the plot, or sometimes just to kill them. Slightly irked by the obvious male gaze exhibited - the main protagonist is a girl, but the male author spends a fair tranche of time on her sexual desires and exploits, including an utterly gratuitous threesome. Admittedly the man involved did end up swiftly and unsympathetically murdered, but it felt very much like male-fantasy fulfillment, as did the heroine's discovery of lesbianism. Isn't the idea to "write what you know"? I was unconvinced by this being what the author knows particularly well, but very much convinced it was written by a man for other men.

The Wrong Side of the Sky - Gavin Lyall

Returning to another book I haven't read in decades. A proper rollicking adventure thriller from the 1960s with full complement of beautiful women and hard-drinking, wise-cracking, damaged men. Didn't remember any of it and couldn't put it down.

Darkdawn - Jay Kristoff

Concluding part in the trilogy, and the author redeemed himself by mocking his own writing style in a curious plot device that involved the characters finding a copy of the books that they themselves appear in. Which worked a lot better than it sounds. Really enjoyed the series, despite my caveats about the sex scenes.

Knots and Crosses - Ian Rankin

I've been acquiring the Rebus novels since about 2001, but realise (as with many of my collections of detective novels) I don't often re-read them. And it turns out I'm not sure I have ever re-read this one, the first of the series. Aside from the fact that I'd forgotten the plot, I'd also forgotten the character that Rebus started as in this book. I'm much more familiar with late-era Rebus, and had forgotten both his origins and how much he changed. I may have to gradually work my way through them all again to see how his character develops. 

So there we are, another mix of returning to books that haven't been read in years, and new books. My major revelation is that after sufficient years buying and reading books I have now reached the stage where it's very definitely worth re-reading some of them, even if they're not works of high art that will reveal new facets of themselves upon repeat visits. My memory is now faded enough and I've filled it with so many books, that I can go back and discover old books almost as if they're new. Which should save me a fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment