Tuesday 9 February 2021

What I've learnt in Week 4,792 of lockdown

Encroaching insanity, and provoked by a friend asking, "But what are you doing for you?" I have decided it's time to do more than sit on the sofa drinking wine and rotting my brain with television every evening. To which end, I have dug out some books on sewing that I acquired some time ago, and have decided to make myself a skirt. Being the kind of sucker for punishment that I am, rather than buying a regular paper pattern, all nicely marked up, I am attempting to follow instructions from a book. This is not to say that the book doesn't have a pattern in it, rather that it has too many patterns on not enough pieces of paper. In fact, it has the patterns for 24 different skirts, in something like ten sizes each, spread across a paltry 3 sheets of paper. 

Perhaps some of you will be familiar with the technique that Jane Austen and Charles Darwin both used of rotating the page when they reached the end and writing again at 90 degrees to their original screed. The result was, unsurprisingly, somewhat confusing to the casual reader. Well, I think it would be fair to say that 240 patterns on three sheets of paper is... erm... challenging.

What are all these lines for?

After several evenings I did finally manage to render this mysterious collection of coloured lines into a set of paper pattern pieces. Having conquered the mighty challenge of cutting the paper pattern, I moved onto the slightly easier territory of cutting the fabric, and was momentarily lulled into thinking I knew what I was doing. And then I began to doubt whether, despite my careful and repeated measurements, the finished object was going to comfortably encircle my comfortable girth. So during the cutting phase I actually made the lining pieces one size larger and test fitted them. And then reduced them back to the original measured size, as I was just being paranoid. 

Filled with a warm glow of satisfaction at having a neat pile of fabric all cut and ready to go, I returned to the first set of instructions that actually pertained to sewing anything. And I discovered that I don't know what understitching a seam means. And I don't own an invisible zipper foot. I don't even own a visible zipper foot, let alone an invisible one. I was beginning to regret that in a book of patterns that starts with easiest and works towards hardest I had not opted to start at the beginning but had leapt in half way through. 

Apparently neither of these are zipper feet



I managed the darts in the lining. I managed to join the three sections of lining together. I even managed to join two of the pieces of outer fabric together. And then I reached the dizzying heights of Step 4, sewing the side seams. One sentence in, and I have to take a diversion to page 158, to discover how to insert pocket bags. Half-way through the instructions on inserting pocket bags, I must divert to page 139 to learn what it means to understitch a seam. At which point I have to give in and scour the entire book to try and work out what is meant by the "facing fabric" in a seam. Having pored over these instructions, and indeed made notes to myself, I retreat to the kitchen to press open the scant handful of seams that I have sewn so far. But it is late, and I am tired, and I fail to notice the setting on the iron when I start to press open the darts on the lining. It turns out that polyester lining fabric does not react well to a hot iron.

A disappointing outcome to an evening's work

So my first evening of actual sewing ended in unpicking a seam, cutting a new piece of lining, and pinning and tacking it in place. I decided at this point that I could not be trusted to do anything involving machinery. So I returned to the sofa with a glass of wine and some mind-rotting television. It's a good thing I'm making a summer skirt, as it might take another 6 months to finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment