Thursday 17 December 2020

Weight Loss Plan That Really Works!!!

 A few weeks ago, BigBear decided that perhaps he needed to be NotQuiteSoBigBear, and has been cutting back on his food and drink intake. He is doing very well, despite his wife's insistence on sitting next to him eating hot buttered toast and drinking red wine.

I, however, have been stoically refusing to acknowledge that the overhang above my waistband is a new feature, and I have certainly been refusing to stand on the bathroom scales. This morning, that resolve cracked, and I discovered that I now weigh more than I have done at any time other than when pregnant. And I'm not pregnant.

I'll tell you a little something about myself, and I think it's something that will resonate with quite a few people... I comfort eat. I eat when I'm tired. I eat when I'm stressed. I eat when I'm unhappy. All three of those states have featured this year, in abundance. And as we approach Christmas, and I attempt to undertake too much, make too much, prepare too much and be too much, all of those states ramp up to maximum. 

In light of which, and with an astonishing surfeit of self-awareness, I have decided on a new weight loss plan. And I can 100% guarantee that it really, really works. You don't have to count calories, you don't have to feel hungry, you don't have to stop drinking. My plan? My plan is to not give a damn about being slightly heavier than I used to be. Not now. Not yet. Yes, I could do with shedding a bit of weight. No, I don't fit into my glam party clothes. Was I going to any glam parties? I was not. I am just going to carry on as I am, for now. I'm going to accept that I'm not as fit or healthy as I could be, for now. I'm going to accept that this has been an incredibly stressful, tiring, distressing year, and I'm going to celebrate the fact that we, and all our loved ones, are reaching the end of it with our health intact, with roofs over our heads and food on our tables makes us a damn sight luckier than many.

I am going to eat, drink and try to be merry, and maybe in 2021 I'll be able to do less of the first two, and more of the third.


No comments:

Post a Comment