Saturday 24 October 2020

10-Day Challenge: Day #6

Today is.... <drum-roll>... half term!

That's right, we've made it all the way through a full seven weeks of school. Seven weeks in which no child in LittleBear's school had a positive covid-19 test. Seven weeks in which no class in LittleBear's school had to be sent home to isolate. Seven weeks in which LittleBear was able to receive some actual, genuine teaching, surrounded by his friends.

If that's not something to feel positive about in these times, I don't know what is.

And to celebrate this momentous occasion, what did we do? Absolutely nothing. It was great. 

I say "nothing", but LittleBear and I have started a "Half-Term Tournament" of board games, taking it in turns to chose the next game. Taking a leaf out of the newly-restarted Six Nations tournament, we are awarding 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, a bonus point for a thumping victory and a loser's bonus point for a narrow defeat. LittleBear has cruised to an early lead, to nobody's surprise. 

Meanwhile, since I couldn't really be bothered to cook, and the next grocery delivery isn't until tomorrow, we had takeaway curry for dinner. Which involves ordering on my laptop, paying by Paypal, and then cycling down into the village to pick it up from outside the front of the restaurant. And as I peddled home in the dwindling twilight I realised how incredibly lucky I am to be able to do that. To have the money to casually order a takeaway on a whim, to have a well-organised local restaurant that I trust, to be able to collect my meal by bicycle, to have a loving little family to share it with, to have security, and comfort and safety.

Today was definitely a day to count my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment