Sunday 17 November 2019

Definition of insanity

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome?

Two years ago, I held a children's party in our local Community room. I organised and ran party games for twenty-seven children, and felt stressed, over-wrought, anxious and (ultimately) utterly exhausted. So, when LittleBear asked to have a football-themed party in the Community room with me running football games for him, the correct answer should have been "No." Rarely do I come up with the sensible answer when my LittleBear asks for something however.

Which is how I came to be running a football party for twenty 7 and 8 year olds today. There was a lot of sweat, intermittent tears, but fortunately no blood. My single greatest parental asset now turns out to be a referee's whistle. They actually stop moving and listen*. Not for long, but often long enough to tell them something important, like "there's cake".

I have spent the last few days feeling stressed, over-wrought and anxious. And now I'm utterly exhausted. It's almost like someone could have predicted this...




* I have two spare referee's whistles. I'm open to offers for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment